from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly British An island in a river.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The holly.
- n. A common evergreen oak, of Europe, Quercus ilex; the holm oak.
- n. Land that is liable to flooding; a river island.
- n. an islet, sometimes with holly bushes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A common evergreen oak, of Europe (Quercus Ilex); -- called also ilex, and holly.
- n. An islet in a river.
- n. Low, flat land.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hill. Layamon. An islet or a river-island; in the Orkneys, a small island off a larger one.
- n. A river-meadow; a low flat tract of rich land by the side of a river.
- n. Holly.
- n. The holm-oak.
In Portuguese, it was called carrasqueira, in English, holm oak.
A big flash flood in 1634 severed the old Nordstrand or the north beach, into Nordstrand and Pellworm Islands, and the islet, in German holm, Nordstrandischmoor.
[*] To a duel, usually fought, in mail or without it, on an island -- "holm" -- within a circle of hazel-twigs.
Gunnar said, "Now all men here present be ear-witnesses, that I challenge thee Hrut to single combat, and we shall fight to-day on the holm, which is here in Oxwater.
Jennifer M. Gran-holm (D) recently signed a change to her state's teacher pensions that increases employee contributions.
The site-contractors were already at work, clearing the holm oaks and umbrella pines that had endured since Roman times, surviving forest fires and military invasions.
Passengers off the Cremyll ferry stroll in the park beneath holm oaks and pass a pillared temple.
When Toyota, I think it was, wanted to build an auto factory in Grand Rapids, Granb … holm told them that if you want to play in The Peoples Republic of Michigan, you MUST be union.
The home's landscaped garden, stretching over 3,250 square meters, is full of trees, ranging from walnut and holm oak to orange and lemon.
We wake to find ourselves installed in Chestnut Cottage, with its pool overlooking olive groves and flanked by sweet chestnut, holm oak and cork.