from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who attends to the maintenance or cleaning of a building.
- n. A doorman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. someone who looks after the maintenance and cleaning of a public building.
- n. a doorman
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A door-keeper; a porter.
- n. One who is employed to care for a public building, or a building occupied for offices, suites of rooms, etc.; a caretaker; -- the duties may include removal of trash, cleaning of the rooms and public areas, and minor repairs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A doorkeeper; a porter.
- n. A man employed to take charge of rooms or buildings, to see that they are kept clean and in order, to lock and unlock them, and generally to care for them.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone employed to clean and maintain a building
Likewise the janitor is not expected to make decisions on the firms new product line.
February 25th, 2010 at 10: 20 am ralph the wonder llama, official spokesllama for the Llama Milk Council® says: pezmiztix says: bob, typical progressive compassion on display … .. being a janitor is somehow below human standards ….
Two hours after a game ends, a janitor is cleaning the locker rooms and finds Wallace dead in the showers ...
If you get promoted from assistant janitor at the Shell station to night janitor, is that far?
I called the janitor again and told him to fetch those grasshoppers he had taken away.
I called the janitor to my room and had a chat for about two hours.
The very hall porter has gone out of town for his holiday, and the page-boy who officiates as temporary janitor is not quite certain about your name and gives you somebody else's letters.
"Someone call the janitor, we have a BIG mess again."
I like how they call the janitor, rather than trained professionals.
Clamm asked, irritated now that the janitor should be his most reliable source of information.