from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A medieval Scottish or Irish foot soldier.
- n. A loutish person.
- n. The portion of a typeface that projects beyond the body or shank of a character.
- transitive v. To provide (type) with a kern.
- transitive v. To adjust space between (characters) in typeset text.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A corn; grain; kernel.
- n. any part of a letter which extends into the space used by another letter.
- v. To adjust the horizontal space between selected pairs of letters (characters or glyphs); to perform such adjustments to a portion of text, according to preset rules.
- n. A light-armed foot soldier of the ancient militia of Ireland and Scotland; in archaic contexts often used as a term of contempt.
- n. Alternative form of quern.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A light-armed foot soldier of the ancient militia of Ireland and Scotland; -- distinguished from
gallowglass, and often used as a term of contempt.
- n. Any kind of boor or low-lived person.
- n. An idler; a vagabond.
- n. A part of the face of a type which projects beyond the body, or shank, such as in certain italic letters.
- n. A churn.
- n. A hand mill. See quern.
- n. Kernel; corn; grain.
- n. The last handful or sheaf reaped at the harvest.
- n. The harvest-home.
- intransitive v. To harden, as corn in ripening.
- intransitive v. To take the form of kernels; to granulate.
- transitive v. To form with a kern. See 2d kern.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To form corns or grains; take the form of corns or grains; granulate; harden, as corn in ripening; set, as fruit or grain.
- To granulate, as salt by evaporation.
- To sow with corn.
- To cause to granulate, as salt by evaporation.
- In type-founding, to form with a kern or projection, as-a type or letter.
- A dialectal (unassibi-lated) form of churn.
- n. A corn; grain; kernel.
- n. In printing, that part of a type which projects beyond the body or shank, as in the Roman letters f and j as formerly made and some italic letters.
- n. The last handful or sheaf of grain cut down at the close of the harvest. Also called kern-cut.
- n. A harvest-home.
- n. A dialectal form of quern.
- n. In the ancient militia of Ireland and the Highlands of Scotland, a light-armed foot-soldier of the lowest and poorest grade, armed with a dart or skean: opposed to gallowglass, a heavy-armed soldier. The word is sometimes used in a collective sense.
- n. Hence —2. An Irish churl or boor; by extension, any ignoble person; a drudge; a bumpkin.
- n. In English law, an idle person or vagabond.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. remove a portion of space between (adjacent letters)
- n. the part of a metal typeface that projects beyond its body
- v. furnish with a kern
- n. United States composer of musical comedies (1885-1945)
Tåkern is quite a large lake and in olden times it must have been larger still.
They must know that Tåkern is the wild ducks 'property.
Tåkern is certainly the largest and choicest bird lake in the whole country; and the birds may count themselves lucky so long as they own such a retreat.
"I wonder, Jarro, what you wild ducks will do next year, when Tåkern is drained and turned into grain-fields?" said Clawina.
There was Cam-Ruadh, the early red-haired man of tradition, who, fallen prisoner among a batch of hostile "kern," or outlaws, was offered his liberty if he could make so many good arrow-shots.
Or, perhaps a "kern," standing solitary upon some hill-top, would call forth a whole series of Danish and Norwegian legends, which would give them food for reflection for days.
For transport, he could use a German car such as a VOW or a Mercy and should certainly remember to park close to the kern at all times
But he's young, princely provided, and lofty enough in his manner to be princely born, no common kern.
I have had trout on the kern river hit a butt .... was glad I found this fly in utah ..
Next i nawt cut sew much sew dey kern ta open demselfz