from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To perceive with the eyes or intellect; detect.
- transitive v. To recognize or comprehend mentally.
- transitive v. To perceive or recognize as being different or distinct; distinguish. See Synonyms at see1.
- intransitive v. To perceive differences.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To detect with the senses, especially with the eyes.
- v. To perceive, recognize, or comprehend with the mind; to descry.
- v. To distinguish something as being different from something else; to differentiate.
- v. To perceive differences.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To see or understand the difference; to make distinction.
- intransitive v. To make cognizance.
- transitive v. To see and identify by noting a difference or differences; to note the distinctive character of; to discriminate; to distinguish.
- transitive v. To see by the eye or by the understanding; to perceive and recognize.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To distinguish; perceive the difference between(two or more things); discriminate.
- To indicate or constitute the difference between; show the distinction between.
- To see distinctly; separate mentally from the general mass of objects occupying the field of vision; perceive by the eye; descry.
- To discover by the intellect; gain knowledge of; become aware of; distinguish.
- Synonyms and To perceive, recognize, mark, note, espy, descry.
- To perceive a difference or distinction; make or establish a distinction; discriminate: as, to discern between truth and falsehood.
- To see; penetrate by the eye.
- To have judicial cognizance: with of.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. detect with the senses
So that the pattern we are invited to discern is one of indifference and incompetence, perhaps, but certainly not racism?
I still managed to graduate in the top third of my class at UVA, which, although UVA has a strict policy of not publishing class rankings, I was able to discern from a slight knowledge of statistics and knowing that we were adhering to a B-mean rule in assigning grades.
What you were perhaps unable so far to discern from the photographs (which would be exactly the effect desired by Dientzenhofer) is the circumstance that the altar painting which you can see (showing the martyrium of St. Dionysius by the Bamberg court painter Sebastian Reinhard from 1714) is not actually on the high altar.
But one of the few patterns I can actually discern is that during the hours when I tweet the book or website's URL, sales go up.
The environmental extremes that the army encounters (freezing cold vs. baking heat) reflects the dual nature of the soldiers themselves; as you can discern from the following passage:
As you can clearly discern from the look on my face, I was seeking a restroom.
At least the uniforms form enterpise you can discern from a regualr dude to the captain, and heck those jumpsuits had pockets too, and zippers!
One truth that God allowed me to discern is that judging a group of people as wicked and evil because of their sexual orientation - and deeming them as unworthy of my association and unworthy of a relationship with God - was wrong.
Also, as you can discern from the top photo, there are two tables, each of which seat 2 or 3 comfortably.
Known officially as "Truck, Mine Protected Vehicle" (MPV), as readers will discern from the picture, this is based on the chassis of an articulated truck.