from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A machine with a rotating blade for cutting grass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any form of machine, having rotating blades, used to cut grass.
- n. A person who mows lawns using a lawnmower.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a machine for clipping the short grass of lawns.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which mows a lawn; specifically, a machine, either pushed over the ground by hand or drawn by a horse, according to its size, for cutting the grass on a lawn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. garden tool for mowing grass on lawns
Sorry, no etymologies found.
From the chopper's armored cockpit, Delta-One watched his rotors tear into the sub's cable like a giant lawn mower running over a steel chain.
It was so quiet that the sounds of the warm October afternoon outside could be heard: birds singing, a lawn mower humming, and the laughter of little, snotty-nosed kids playing.