from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any unit of cultural information, such as a practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.
- n. A self-propagating unit of cultural evolution having a resemblance to the gene (the unit of genetics).
- n. A quiz or survey that is copied from one webpage or online journal to another, each participant filling in his or her personal answers.
- n. A thought, idea, joke, or concept that spreads online, often virally. Can be in the form of an image, a video, an email, an animation, or music.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a cultural unit (an idea or value or pattern of behavior) that is passed from one person to another by non-genetic means (as by imitation)
I hope my classicist friends will forgive me if I abbreviate mimeme to meme* If it is any consolation, it could alternatively be thought of as being related to ‘memory’, or to the French word meme.
When Richard Dawkins coined the word meme he spoke about a soup of human culture where cultural units leap from brain to brain by processes of interpretation and imitation.
Dawkins first came to prominence with his 1976 book The Selfish Gene, which popularised the gene-centered view of evolution and introduced the term meme, helping found the field of memetics.
Note: Techmeme founder Gabe Rivera says he doesn't think that the term meme-tracker defines any kind of meaningful category of products, and that the word is
What makes it a meme is the corollary that the F-22 is militarily irrelevant.
It's not a meme, before anyone uses the term, as a meme is an idea that develops and mutates.
My quote would have been, "do they have to ask you for your papers in a German accent?". aff it wasn't just snl ... the meme is all over the interwebs. still, it's funny.
For what a meme is and the rules that go along with it, check out my last meme post here.
Anyway, perhaps this meme is my chance to come up with two slightly alternate universe updates for my old high school classmates, twenty-one years late.
This strikes me as funny, because the only other person I read who has done this meme is an atheist!