from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Being such that use or operation is possible: an operable machine.
- adj. Possible to put into practice; practicable: an operable plan.
- adj. Treatable by surgical operation with a reasonable degree of safety and chance of success: an operable cancer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Able to be operated or used
- adj. Able to be put into operation; practicable
- adj. Able to be treated by surgery
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Practicable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. capable of being treated by surgical operation
- adj. fit or ready for use or service
- adj. usable for a specific purpose
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I think the presumption is that it will be in operable conditions and will be used either for sport, or in emergencies, which can’t be predicted.
The device also would have been operable, which is the ultimate goal.
Then, airlines must provide food and water after a two-hour delay, as well as "operable" toilets and medical attention if needed.
Even though the gunshot had punctured his neck, they determined he was "operable," which is to say that even under the limited conditions of our operating theatre-in this case, it's been set up inside a converted shipping container-the team could still save his life.
It also prohibits all gun owners from keeping more than one "operable" gun in their home and requires anyone who has "reason to believe" that a child could gain access to the gun to keep it locked up.
Even though the gunshot had punctured his neck they determined he was "operable".
As a reminder, JBC Energy estimates the site's total 'operable' capacity is some 34m barrels.
Build prototypes that eliminate technical risks, initial releases for refining with users, and scalable, "operable," maintainable systems.
According to the Northeast Intelligence Network, "… there are more than 50 Islamic terrorist cells and nearly one thousand individuals identified as operable threats suspected to be presently inside the United States.
The device also would have been operable, which is the ultimate goal. "