from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Out to or in remote rural country, especially in Australia or New Zealand.
- n. The remote rural part of a country especially of Australia or New Zealand.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The most remote and desolate areas of Australia; the desert and areas too arid for growing crops.
- adj. Characteristic of the most remote and desolate areas of Australia; very remote from urban areas.
- adv. To or towards the most remote and desolate areas of Australia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The remote bush country of Australia.
- adj. same as out-of-the-way.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the bush country of the interior of Australia
- adj. inaccessible and sparsely populated
[Roderick Chisholm, Boundaries as Dependent Particulars (1984: 88)] “The reason why it's vague where the outback begins is not that there's this thing, the outback, with imprecise borders; rather there are many things, with different borders, and nobody has been fool enough to try to enforce a choice of one of them as the official referent of the word ˜outback™.”
The reason it's vague where the outback begins is not that there's this thing, the outback, with imprecise borders; rather there are many things, with different borders, and nobody has been fool enough to try to enforce a choice of one of them as the official referent of the word ˜outback.™
And i know what you mean about the impact of things like tablecloths and such even in "outback" sort of places.
The girls must suffer a torture that, like the outback, is pushed continually outward in a single direction.
The number of people moving from high tech developed areas to the low tech outback is vanishingly small compared to the numbers migrating to the city and developed world.
The outback is as harsh in it's own way as Alaska in my opinion.
The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service says the discovery of a rare bird in outback Queensland will probably attract worldwide scientific interest.
The World Solar Challenge across the Australian outback is coming up, and we’re already seeing some truly incredible vehicles going for the gold.
I end up having to use the BB quite often because of Optus’ crappy coverage (and I am not in outback, I am at surfersparadise), at best, calls are ok but 3G data doesnot work.
Being in the outback was a spiritual and moving experience for me so this email resonated deeply.