from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A detachable lock with a U-shaped bar hinged at one end, designed to be passed through the staple of a hasp or a link in a chain and then snapped shut.
- transitive verb To lock up with or as if with a padlock.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To fasten by or as by means of a padlock.
- noun A portable lock with a pivoted bow or hasp or a sliding hasp, designed to fit over a staple or engage a ring and to hang suspended when closed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To fasten with, or as with, a padlock; to stop; to shut; to confine as by a padlock.
- noun A portable lock with a bow which is usually jointed or pivoted at one end so that it can be opened, the other end being fastened by the bolt, -- used for fastening by passing the bow through a staple over a hasp or through the links of a chain, etc.
- noun A curb; a restraint.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
detachable lockthat can be used to secure something by means of a sliding or hinged shackle
- verb To lock using a padlock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb fasten with a padlock
- noun a detachable lock; has a hinged shackle that can be passed through the staple of a hasp or the links in a chain and then snapped shut
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
To open the padlock, you must press the buttons. key number 1 to represent the letter 'a', the key number 2 to represent the letter 'f', and so on. code to open the padlock is 'padlock'.
He takes a paper clip out of his pocket and opens it out, and I think maybe he has a penknife, too, and next thing I know the padlock is open.
"Azactly," said Old Gillman; and slipped the padlock from the staple and put it in his pocket.
'Azactly,' said Old Gillman; and slipped the padlock from the staple and put it in his pocket.
Stuffed carefully into a steel locker secured with a padlock were the blocks of Semtex explosives, and on top of that locker lay one of the M-249 Squad Automatic Weapons.
This was a kind of padlock, which shut up all access to the seat of voluptuousness.
There is no "padlock" to show that the other people in your conversation are also using secure Skype clients.
Another option is a third-party 'padlock' security program for smartphones / PDAs.
Mfd, the bacterial TRCF RNA polymerase stalled at DNA damage is recognized by Mfd pre-incision complex (UvrB "padlock" bound to damaged DNA) RNA, RNAP Mfd UvrA 2 UvrA 2 UvrB RNA Pol Mfd COUPLING
"SSL certificates are the primary mechanism for ensuring that secure web sites -- those displaying that reassuring" padlock "icon in the address bar -- really are who they purport to be.