from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See pentacle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The shape of a five-pointed star constructed of five intersecting lines meeting at the vertices, such that a central pentagon and five surrounding isosceles triangles are formed; often with magical connotations.
- n. a 5/2 star polygon
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pentacle or a pentalpha.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A five-pointed or five-lobed figure, as the figure of a five-rayed star; specifically, the magic sign also called pentacle. See pentacle.
- n. In geometry, a five-sided polygram.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a star with 5 points; formed by 5 straight lines between the vertices of a pentagon and enclosing another pentagon
The five sided star, known as a pentagram, is one of the most powerful yet misconceived symbolic representations of our modern times, although the shape has been around for thousands of years.
It’s basically the same symbol, but the word pentagram usually refers to the symbol that’s drawn in the air during rituals, and it doesn’t have a circle around the star.
You have pink satin pentagram pillows all over your house
“Are you aware that a five-pointed star is called a pentagram?”
The pentagram is a necessary part of any demon-raising ritual.
The ACLU argued that the pentagram is a symbol of religious faith, and as such, students must be allowed to wear it openly.
“And that the pentagram is a symbol of pagan religions . . . the same groups that would have been celebrating Beltane the night of April thirtieth?”
At the heart of the pentagram was a huge slab of stone; probably native limestone.
The pentagram is a five-sided solid figure, which in Christian art represents the five wounds Christ received at the Crucifixion.
By producing each side of this latter figure the five-pointed star (fig. 9), known as the pentagram, is obtained.