from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To lift; to grasp and raise.
- v. To collect an object, especially in passing.
- v. To clean up; to return to an organized state.
- v. To collect a passenger.
- v. To collect and detain (a suspect).
- v. To improve, increase, or speed up.
- v. To restart or resume.
- v. To learn, to grasp; to begin to understand.
- v. To receive (a radio signal or the like).
- v. To notice, detect or discern, often used with "on".
- v. To point out (a person's behaviour, habits, or actions) in a critical manner.
- v. To meet and seduce somebody for romantic purposes, especially in a social situation.
- v. To answer a telephone. See pick up the phone.
- v. To pay for.
- v. To reduce the despondency of.
- v. To take control (physically) of something.
- v. To mark, to defend against an opposition player by following them closely.
- v. To record, to notch up
- n. An impromptu athletic game.
- n. The act of collecting and taking away something or someone, usually in a vehicle. The time the act occurs.
- n. An instance of approaching someone and engaging in romantic flirtation and courting with the intent to pursue romance, a date, or a sexual encounter. See also pick-up line, pick-up joint, pickup artist.
- n. A pickup truck.
- n. A half-volley.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Iarussi said two firefighters attempted to pick up four of the swimmers in a rescue boat.
They believe that all you have to do, Mr. President, is pick up the phone and call the Emir of Kuwait and tell him to set the 17 free.
Cormac bent over to pick up a grapefruit-sized stone, measuring its weight in his hand.
In a further change, Teather will propose that every two-year-old should receive a progress check, to pick up any signs of delay in development.
As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, Oral sex!
Maybe owning hard-to-get decent clothes is another perk for being a coordinator at the House of Friendship and Peace, along with a food package containing a kilo of beef, a jar of instant coffee, and a stick of hard salami they can pick up at a special distributor before major holidays.
Over a period of two years, Dextre's 11-foot arms -- operated by engineers at Johnson Space Center in Houston -- will pick up tools to cut wires, remove caps, open valves and attach a fluid hose.
But one player he does believe can carry on for another season is skipper Weir, who celebrates his 40th birthday on Monday and who will pick up the Scottish Football Writers '
Elizabeth had left everything behind in her luggage at Dublin Airport, so they stopped at Dunnes Stores on the outskirts of Sligo to pick up toiletries and a few items of clothing.
Soon my in-loves would pick up the children and Shannon would be home from work.