from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To reveal by divine inspiration.
- transitive v. To predict with certainty as if by divine inspiration. See Synonyms at foretell.
- transitive v. To prefigure; foreshow.
- intransitive v. To reveal the will or message of God.
- intransitive v. To predict the future as if by divine inspiration.
- intransitive v. To speak as a prophet.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To foretell; to predict; to prognosticate.
- transitive v. To foreshow; to herald; to prefigure.
- intransitive v. To utter predictions; to make declaration of events to come.
- intransitive v. To give instruction in religious matters; to interpret or explain Scripture or religious subjects; to preach; to exhort; to expound.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To predict; foretell; foreshow. See prophet.
- To speak by divine inspiration; utter or tell as prophet.
- To utter predictions; foretell future events.
- To interpret or explain Scripture or religious subjects; preach; exhort.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. predict or reveal through, or as if through, divine inspiration
- v. deliver a sermon
The term prophesy, in this instance, must be restricted to the use of psalmody, because exposition or exhortation in public was not permitted to the women, who were not allowed to speak or even to ask a question in a place of worship.
The Micah prophesy is clearly about someone of the Bethlehem Ephratah clan.
Roth has long been pessimistic about the survival of the novel in a gaudy, short-attention-span culture, but his latest prophesy is one of his bleakest yet, predicting that the form will dwindle to a “cultic” minority enthusiasm within 25 years.
Continue here: My Own Worst Enemy cancelled in self-fulfilling title prophesy JimK
Planet-x.com.au » My Own Worst Enemy cancelled in self-fulfilling title prophesy JimK
And, "Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy; your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions": 149 where again, the word prophesy is expounded by dream and vision.
Some such convulsion as geologists declare has already frequently befallen our earth; and, as they prophesy, is shortly coming again.
As he bore it patiently, and did not answer, they doubtless supposed they had discovered another reason to think he was an impostor; The word prophesy does not mean only to foretell future events -- although that is the proper meaning of the word; but also to declare anything that is unknown, or anything which cannot be known by natural knowledge, or without revelation.
And, "Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy; your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions": (47) where again, the word prophesy is expounded by dream and vision.
My Own Worst Enemy cancelled in self-fulfilling title prophesy JimK