from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To steal, often in a violation of trust. See Synonyms at steal.
- intransitive v. To commit theft.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To convert the property of another, often in breach of trust; to appropriate wrongfully.
- v. To commit theft; to thieve.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To take or carry away for one's self; hence, to steal; to take by theft; to filch.
- intransitive v. To practice theft; to steal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To put off; prolong; delay.
- To set back or aside; put away; remove.
- To remove, carry off, or take for one's self; hence, to take by theft; filch; steal.
- To practise theft.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make off with belongings of others
Les Synonyms: dérober = to purloin chiper = to swipe, filch piquer = to pinch, to nick
He decides to purloin the urn and find out how it got into the back of that cab.
In court papers, the artist group says it believed they had permission to remove the painting as long as they didn't attempt to purloin any scrap metal.
Yes, certainly, the cats have to get a bit more crafty if they want to purloin their provisions ahead of time.
He is yet another one of those, with no belief in "revealed religion" (which is what Christianity claims to be), but in "social religion" - in effect he wants to purloin the claims to goodness and morality of Christianity in support of his own sub-Marxist causes. terence patrick hewett
Somehow the captain managed to purloin uniforms so the crooks were able to dress as cops.
Les Synonyms:dérober = to purloin chiper = to swipe, filch piquer = to pinch, to nick
As a legal minor, with no legal title to her estates, Elizabeth could not prevent attempts to purloin Durham Place or Hatfield.
You'll have to reach across the table to refill your own wineglass -- and most likely, that bottle is already empty and there isn't another anywhere to be found, not even if you were willing to purloin it from another table.
I am so glad that he is taking a stand as it will hopefully make others think twice before they purloin images for themselves.