from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The cardinal number equal to 1015.
- noun Chiefly British The cardinal number equal to 1024.
from The Century Dictionary.
- The cardinal numeral obtained from a quadrillion: used like
- noun The fourth power of a million according to the system of numeration called English; but the fifth power of a thousand according to the French system, commonly used in the United States.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun According to the French notation, which is followed also upon the Continent and in the United States, a unit with fifteen ciphers annexed; according to the English notation, the number produced by involving a million to the fourth power, or the number represented by a unit with twenty-four ciphers annexed. See the Note under
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun US A
thousand trillion: 1 followed by fifteen zeros, 1015.
- noun dated, UK, Australia A
million trillion: 1 followed by twenty-four zeros, 1024.
- noun figuratively, slang Any very large number, exceeding normal description.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the number that is represented as a one followed by 15 zeros
- noun the number that is represented as a one followed by 24 zeros
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
A quadrillion is equal to 1,000 billion, written as a one followed by 15 zeroes.
The statement of two quadrillion is right up there with every other lie, disinformation and irrational statement of the CONservative inaccuracy machine.
In the American system, a quadrillion is a million billion.
The Bank for International Settlements reported in 2008 that total annual derivatives trades were $1.14 quadrillion (a quadrillion is a thousand trillion).
At the other end of the spectrum, a signal of 10 quadrillionths, or 0.00000000000001, of a watt (a quadrillion is a million billion) could be enough to complete a call.
Finance minister Samuel Mumbengegwi last week announced a national budget of 7.8 quadrillion Zimbabwe dollars (a quadrillion is a figure followed by 15 zeroes), the only country in the world whose national spending runs into such a large number.
$1.14 quadrillion (a quadrillion is a thousand trillion).
One of them is for a "quadrillion" dollars, which USA TODAY feels the need to put into context (if that is possible).
What macroscopic phenomenon on earth could possibly require the use of the word "quadrillion" to describe it?
"quadrillion," and after that, if there is an after that, a "quintillion."