from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The enlisted troops, excluding noncommissioned officers, in an army.
- noun The people who form the major portion of a group, organization, or society, excluding the leaders and officers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Common soldiers, as would be arrayed in a grid pattern with
- noun idiomatic Those lacking any particular
titleor status; those having no station.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun people who constitute the main body of any group
- noun the ordinary members of an organization (such as the enlisted soldiers of an army)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.