from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The income of a government from all sources appropriated for the payment of the public expenses.
- n. Yield from property or investment; income.
- n. All the income produced by a particular source.
- n. A governmental department set up to collect public funds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The income returned by an investment
- n. The total income received from a given source
- n. All income generated for some political entity's treasury by taxation and other means
- n. The total sales; turnover.
- n. The net revenue, net sales.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which returns, or comes back, from an investment; the annual rents, profits, interest, or issues of any species of property, real or personal; income.
- n. Hence, return; reward.
- n. The annual yield of taxes, excise, customs, duties, rents, etc., which a nation, state, or municipality collects and receives into the treasury for public use.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The annual rents, profits, interest, or issues of any kind of property, real or personal; income.
- n. The annual income of a state, derived from the taxation, customs, excise, or other sources, and appropriated to the payment of the national expenses.
- n. Return; reward.
- n. Synonyms Profit, etc. See income.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the entire amount of income before any deductions are made
- n. government income due to taxation
The comments seem to be suggesting why not tax capital if the reduction in revenue is made up by increased taxes on wages.
Nvidia may have reported a loss of $201.3 million for its fiscal 2010 first quarter after the markets closed yesterday, and a 42 percent drop in revenue from the same period a year ago, but the company still has quite a few things going for it.
It seems to me that it would be worth it to Tacoma's schools and other government functions that the state raise that $200 million plus in revenue from a sales tax increase. poliTICKLING
The state expects to receive $1.2 billion in revenue from the delay of a corporate tax break.
This year Proactiv's licensee and distributor, Guthy-Renker, will collect roughly $800 million in revenue from the acne treatment -- its runaway bestseller.
Does the amount of stimulus spent this year & the loss in revenue from the Making Work Pay cut completely counteract the increase in GDP over what was projected because of the stimulus?
LightspeedVenturePartners – Apple has made no more than $20-45m in revenue from the appstore, May 13, 2009
All the while you are waiting for that day when the edict comes down: Due to unforeseen shortfalls in revenue from the Lents ballpark, we regret to announce that the new Lents parking meters will now be collecting money during normal downtown parking hours.
Number one, gas tax revenue is only one component of transit funding, and may well be augmented by new ones soon — revenue from a cap and trade program, or a greater share of federal transportation funding shifted to transit.
"Given the cost of wholesale funding and no real prospect of material volume growth, the [weakness in revenue] is likely to continue into 2011," Mr. Quinn said in a note to investors.