from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Chopped or shredded cabbage salted and fermented in its own juice.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A favorite German dish, consisting of cabbage cut fine, pressed into a cask, with alternate layers of salt, and suffered to ferment till it becomes sour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun Cabbage cut fine and allowed to ferment in a brine made of its own juice with salt, -- a German dish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A dish made by
fermentingfinely chopped cabbage.
- noun obsolete, ethnic slur, offensive, slang A
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun shredded cabbage fermented in brine
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[German : sauer, sour; see sauerbraten + Kraut, cabbage (from Middle High German krūt, from Old High German).]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Borrowed into English around 1600 from German Sauerkraut, from sauer ("sour, acidic, spoiled") + Kraut ("herb”, specifically “cabbage").
Sorry, no example sentences found.