from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A large snakelike marine animal often reported by mariners since antiquity but never positively identified.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A name of Ophichthys gomesii, an eel of the family Ophichthyidæ, found in the West Indies.
- noun An enormous marine animal of serpentine form, said to have been repeatedly seen at sea.
- noun In herpetology, a general name of the marine venomous serpents or seasnakes of the family Hydrophidæ.
- noun A chain of salps linked together.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- (Zoöl.) Any marine snake. See
- (Zoöl.) A large marine animal of unknown nature, often reported to have been seen at sea, but never yet captured.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Any
unidentifiedsea monster, especially one resembling a snakeor dragon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun huge creature of the sea resembling a snake or dragon
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.