from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a burial vault or a receptacle for sacred relics.
- adj. Suggestive of the grave; funereal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Suggestive of a grave
- adj. Hollow and deep.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to burial, to the grave, or to monuments erected to the memory of the dead
- adj. Unnaturally low and grave; hollow in tone; -- said of sound, especially of the voice.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a sepulcher or tomb; connected with burial or the grave; erected on a grave or to the memory of the dead: as, a sepulchral stone or statue.
- Suggestive of a sepulcher or tomb.
- Gloomy; funereal; solemn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to a sepulchre
- adj. gruesomely indicative of death or the dead
- adj. suited to or suggestive of a grave or burial
'She laid the still white form beside those that had gone before,' quoth Bobby, in sepulchral tone.
'I am the census-taker Time,' I boomed in sepulchral tones.
"Kiss my fluffy face!" said the Doctor in sepulchral tones.
Many artists exercised their imagination in both fields; in some specific fields such as sepulchral iconog - raphy, cooperation between religious and humanistic symbolism was common.
The little girl's eyes were shining; the very thought of that other ghost's "sepulchral" tones gave her a thrill down her back and lifted her out of herself.
Feeling dizzy, she sank down on the edge of the berth, keeping away from his outstretched body, and pulling the curtains close, so that he and she were shut into a kind of sepulchral twilight.
You understand, my lord, I said this in hollow tones -- in what I may almost term a sepulchral voice. "
Of greatest concern to me was a certain unmistakable foetor—that same dusty, sepulchral stench from my dream!
Moans of a sepulchral timbre drifted out of the dark, and we advanced into the pitchy recess.
Red herrings matches in an envelope slide under the door; food orders echo from a sepulchral dumb waiter don't move us.