from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Directed to one side; sideways.
- adjective So as to slant; sloping.
- adverb On or toward the side; sideways.
- adverb In an oblique manner.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To fetter, as a preventive from straying or breaking pasture, by chaining a fore and a hind foot of the same side together.
- Tending or inclining to one side; sloping; having a lateral course or direction; hence, indirect; one-sided; oblique; devious.
- Laterally; obliquely; sidewise; in the direction of the side.
- On the side; with the side horizontal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Lateral; oblique; not being directly in front.
- adverb Laterally; obliquely; in the direction of the side.
- adverb On the side.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Directed to the
Slantingor sloping; oblique.
Indirect; suggestive; not straightforward.
- adverb Towards the side; sideways.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective (used especially of glances) directed to one side with or as if with doubt or suspicion or envy
- adverb on the side
- adjective situated at or extending to the side
- adjective inclining or directed to one side
- adverb to, toward or at one side
- adverb with the side toward someone or something
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
However, that old saw was repeated with a sidelong, meaningful glance at his middle son.
Based on the play by Maurice Maeterlinck, it is the story of an inscrutable love triangle pieced together, and simultaneously dissolved, in a multitude of sidelong glances and half-hazarded yearnings.
He cast a sidelong glance at Gertie, who let loose a little sob.
“I could ease your pain,” the Morningstar said, glancing at Dante sidelong.
Eros felt himself stir beneath his kilt. he sent to Morrigan, casting her a sidelong glance.
Hmm.10am: The Guardian's Ewen MacAskill is off to hear Newt Gingrich's press conference on steps of Columbia State Capitol building, and sends along his thoughts about Sarah Palin's sidelong endorsement of Gingrich:Lots of people think Sarah Palin does not matter much anymore, having opted against joining the race for the nomination.
His big dark eyes were steady and ironic, nose large, faintest ghost of a mustache, front teeth big and white in sidelong grin.
Celeste gave Azrael a sidelong glance as they exited the subway to the street.
In completely unrelated news, apparently, my old unintentional icon theme of upset-looking people with guns is being challenged by a new unintentional theme of icons of people looking sidelong at other people.
“True dat,” Isda said with a sly smile, glimpsing Celeste with appreciation in a sidelong glance.