from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Directed to one side; sideways: a sidelong glance.
- adj. So as to slant; sloping.
- adv. On or toward the side; sideways.
- adv. In an oblique manner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Directed to the side; sideways.
- adj. Slanting or sloping; oblique.
- adj. Indirect; suggestive; not straightforward.
- adv. Towards the side; sideways.
- adv. obliquely
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Laterally; obliquely; in the direction of the side.
- adv. On the side.
- adj. Lateral; oblique; not being directly in front.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Laterally; obliquely; sidewise; in the direction of the side.
- On the side; with the side horizontal.
- Tending or inclining to one side; sloping; having a lateral course or direction; hence, indirect; one-sided; oblique; devious.
- To fetter, as a preventive from straying or breaking pasture, by chaining a fore and a hind foot of the same side together.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (used especially of glances) directed to one side with or as if with doubt or suspicion or envy
- adv. on the side
- adj. situated at or extending to the side
- adj. inclining or directed to one side
- adv. to, toward or at one side
- adv. with the side toward someone or something
However, that old saw was repeated with a sidelong, meaningful glance at his middle son.
His big dark eyes were steady and ironic, nose large, faintest ghost of a mustache, front teeth big and white in sidelong grin.
In completely unrelated news, apparently, my old unintentional icon theme of upset-looking people with guns is being challenged by a new unintentional theme of icons of people looking sidelong at other people.
Hmm.10am: The Guardian's Ewen MacAskill is off to hear Newt Gingrich's press conference on steps of Columbia State Capitol building, and sends along his thoughts about Sarah Palin's sidelong endorsement of Gingrich:Lots of people think Sarah Palin does not matter much anymore, having opted against joining the race for the nomination.
Based on the play by Maurice Maeterlinck, it is the story of an inscrutable love triangle pieced together, and simultaneously dissolved, in a multitude of sidelong glances and half-hazarded yearnings.
Celeste gave Azrael a sidelong glance as they exited the subway to the street.
“True dat,” Isda said with a sly smile, glimpsing Celeste with appreciation in a sidelong glance.
Eros felt himself stir beneath his kilt. he sent to Morrigan, casting her a sidelong glance.
He cast a sidelong glance at Gertie, who let loose a little sob.
“I could ease your pain,” the Morningstar said, glancing at Dante sidelong.