from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun The angle or inclination of a line or surface that meets another at any angle but 90°.
  • noun Two rules joined together as adjustable arms used to measure or draw angles of any size or to fix a surface at an angle.
  • intransitive verb To cut at an inclination that forms an angle other than a right angle.
  • intransitive verb To be inclined; slant.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The obliquity or inclination of a particular surface of a solid body to another surface of the same body; the angle contained by two adjacent sides of anything, as of a timber used in ship-building. When this angle is acute it is called an under bevel (or beveling), and when obtuse a standing bevel.
  • noun An instrument used by mechanics for drawing angles and for adjusting the abutting surfaces of work to the same inclination.
  • noun A piece of type-metal nearly type-high, with a beveled edge, used by stereotypers to form the flange on the sides of the plates.
  • noun Same as bevel-angle.
  • noun In heraldry, an angular break in any right line.
  • Having the form of a bevel; aslant; sloping; out of the perpendicular; not upright: used figuratively by Shakspere.
  • To cut to a bevel-angle: as, to bevel a piece of wood.
  • To incline toward a point or from a direct line; slant or incline off to a bevel-angle.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • intransitive verb To deviate or incline from an angle of 90°, as a surface; to slant.
  • transitive verb To cut to a bevel angle; to slope the edge or surface of.
  • adjective Having the slant of a bevel; slanting.
  • adjective Poetic Hence: Morally distorted; not upright.
  • adjective any angle other than one of 90°.
  • adjective a cogwheel whose working face is oblique to the axis.
  • noun Any angle other than a right angle; the angle which one surface makes with another when they are not at right angles; the slant or inclination of such surface.
  • noun An instrument consisting of two rules or arms, jointed together at one end, and opening to any angle, for adjusting the surfaces of work to the same or a given inclination; -- called also a bevel square.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun An edge that is canted, one that is not a 90 degree angle.
  • verb transitive To give a canted edge to a surface.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • verb cut a bevel on; shape to a bevel
  • noun two surfaces meeting at an angle different from 90 degrees
  • noun a hand tool consisting of two rules that are hinged together so you can draw or measure angles of any size


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Possibly from Old French *bevel, perhaps from baif, open-mouthed, from baer, to gape, from Vulgar Latin *badāre.]


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word bevel.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.