from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An additional tire carried in a vehicle as a replacement for one that goes flat.
- n. Slang A paunch; a potbelly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An extra wheel or tire carried as a replacement in case of a flat.
- n. Excess weight or fat accumulated near the waist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. excess fat around the waistline
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Certainly not my husband or I, who were watching "Dukes of Hazzard," and certainly not our four-year-old son Budro, who was swinging from the spare tire in his bedroom at the time of this unfortunate event.
Side Lateral silicon dioxide skatol skin skullcap sleep smoking sodas sodium soft drinks soy soy oil spare tire spelt spices spinach squash
The rest of the family was gathered around a four-wheel-drive station wagon with a spare tire on top, space for extra gas cans along the back and fold-down scats giving you room to transport the Cleveland Symphony and all tlieir instruments.
Its trunk went up; Hawkin disappeared behind the raised trunk lid; the car bounced around a few times; and after a minute he reappeared, staggering out from behind the car with its spare tire balanced precariously across his back.