from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of the body that lies between the thorax and the pelvis and encloses the stomach, intestines, liver, spleen, and pancreas. Also called belly.
- n. The corresponding region in vertebrates other than mammals.
- n. The posterior segment of the body in arthropods.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The belly, or that part of the body between the thorax and the pelvis. Also, the cavity of the belly, which is lined by the peritoneum, and contains the stomach, bowels, and other viscera. In man, often restricted to the part between the diaphragm and the commencement of the pelvis, the remainder being called the pelvic cavity.
- n. The posterior section of the body, behind the thorax, in insects, crustaceans, and other Arthropoda.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The belly; that part of the body of a mammal which lies between the thorax and the pelvis; the perivisceral cavity containing most of the digestive and some of the urogenital organs and associated structures.
- n. In vertebrates below mammals, in which there is no diaphragm, and the abdomen consequently is not separated from the thorax, a region of the body corresponding to but not coincident with the human abdomen, and varying in extent according to the configuration of the body.
- n. In entomology, the hind body, the posterior one of the three parts of a perfect insect, united with the thorax by a slender connecting portion, and containing the greater part of the digestive apparatus.
- n. In Arthropoda other than insects, the corresponding hinder part of the body, however distinguished from the thorax, as the tail of a lobster or the apron of a crab.
- n. In ascidians (Tunicata), a special posterior portion of the body, situated behind the great pharyngeal cavity, and containing most of the alimentary canal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the region of the body of a vertebrate between the thorax and the pelvis
- n. the cavity containing the major viscera; in mammals it is separated from the thorax by the diaphragm
Although the abdomen is closed after the gastroschisis repair, it takes time for the intestines to recover from gastroschisis.
For example, if you have pain in your upper right abdomen, is the pain coming from there, or from the sensory part of your brain?
‘The abdomen is the worst place for fat to accumulate,’ says Professor Bell.
Once the epidural has taken effect, her abdomen is prepped with an antibacterial solution and a trochar is placed into the amniotic space to allow the introduction of instruments, such as a small camera (fetoscope) and a coagulation device into the amniotic cavity.
Three small 3 to 5 mm incisions are made and the patient's abdomen is distended with gas.
This lends itself perfectly for keeping a thin abdomen on an already tiny fly.
Removal of fluid from the abdomen is called paracentesis.
The abdomen is a soft area protecting vital organs, so please be gentle.
When they pull people out of line, they're not just going to be patting the back and the abdomen, which is what they're doing now.
Irrespective of where the person's clinical illness manifested itself, the abdomen is the only site he used.