from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • transitive v. To hold under or as if under a spell; enchant or fascinate.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. To attract one's attention as if by a magic spell.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • transitive v. To bind or hold by, or as if by, a spell or charm; to entrance or fascinate, esp. by eloquence of speech, as in a political campaign.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To bind by or as if by a spell; hold under mental control or restraint; fascinate.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • v. attract strongly, as if with a magnet
  • v. put into a trance
  • v. to render motionless, as with a fixed stare or by arousing terror or awe


Back-formation from spellbound.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • The two German words “binden�? (“to bind�?) and “Spelunke�? come to mind (the latter with some effort). It’s a strange dated word for a small very filthy pub or dive, similar to a “Kaschemme�? only that this word is even more obscure in my view (I can’t remember ever having heard it before) and the thing it denotes even more filthy.

    And then there is of course “Speläologie�? == “Speleology�?.

    November 1, 2009

  • Looks like English to me. ;)

    October 31, 2009

  • Ain’t.

    October 31, 2009

  • Looks German to me.

    October 31, 2009