from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Physical or moral strength to resist or withstand illness, fatigue, or hardship; endurance.
- n. A plural of stamen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The energy and strength for continuing to do something over a long period of time; power of sustained exertion, or resistance to hardship, illness etc.
- n. Plural form of stamen.
- n. The basic elements of a thing; rudimentary structures or qualities.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. See stamen.
- n.pl. The fixed, firm part of a body, which supports it or gives it strength and solidity.
- n.pl. Whatever constitutes the principal strength or support of anything; backbone; vigor.
- n.pl. The power of endurance; the ability to withstand fatigue, disease, deprivation, etc., and continue working.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Latin plural of stamen, sometimes used as a singular (see stamen, 3).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. enduring strength and energy
"I gotta tell you, my stamina is definitely an issue," says the 50-year-old Grey.
THe secret, if you have the stamina, is to do a clean sweep around the house daily and pick up and wash and clean up, etc. when it is a small mess, rather than waiting for a large mess.
My stamina is still so hammered, typing this much leaves my fingers trembling to the extent I have trouble keeping them in line with QWERTY.
Stamina and endurance were his to an extreme degree, and they were the virgin stamina and endurance of Youth.
Stay in top physical shape – physical stamina is the route of mental toughness.
Sad, but true, my shopping stamina is down these days.
His stamina is truly amazing, although his mental faculties seem badly strained.
Also deserving of an award for stamina is Peter Cole, the prize's sole judge.
So, you know, I think the successes are going to be there but it's also going to take a lot of stamina from the people doing the work.
Strong physical stamina is needed for standing, walking, stooping, and stretching more than 80% of the work time.