from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A horizontal band or molding set in the face of a building as a design element.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A thin projecting course of brickwork or stone that runs horizontally around a building, typically to emphasize the junction between floors.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A horizontal band in a building, forming a part of the design, whether molded, projecting, or carved, or in any way distinguished from the rest of the work.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In architecture, a narrow molding or a projecting course continued horizontally along the face of a building, frequently under windows. It is sometimes merely a flat band, more often molded, and sometimes richly carved.


string +‎ course (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.