from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, using, producing, or caused by heat.
- adj. Intended or designed in such a way as to help retain body heat: thermal underwear.
- n. A rising current of warm air.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A column of rising air in the lower atmosphere created by uneven heating of Earth's surface.
- adj. pertaining to heat or temperature.
- adj. providing efficient insulation so as to keep the body warm.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to heat; warm; hot.
- adj. caused by or affected by heat.
- adj. designed to retain heat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to heat.
- Of or pertaining to thermæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. caused by or designed to retain heat
- adj. relating to or associated with heat
- n. rising current of warm air
- adj. of or relating to a hot spring
His use of the term thermal equilibrium between the atmosphere and surface is highly ambiguous.
I hope they did more than enough testing in thermal vac and every other way to be sure it will function.
Also, heat radiation affects the polar caps more than one way or maybe my ignorance in thermal-dynamics is too apparent.
Met coal is also known as "coking coal"; coal used for heating is known as "thermal coal" or "steam coal."
Solar thermal is very different than solar photovoltaics, and does not require semiconductor processing.
I wonder if that number includes the cost of covering up a certain thermal exaust that coud prove to be fatal in case of a small ship attack, if not then it seems like a waste of money.
But I think solar thermal is a lot more interesting and exciting.
Underground rivers flow to the surface in thermal springs that can be enjoyed in balnearios and in some hoels.
Not in thermal equilibrium with their environment.
LRO has been in thermal vacuum testing and due to be done with this soon.