Definitions

from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A spirit of thunder, lightning, and rain in the form of a huge bird in the mythology of certain Native American peoples.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun An Australian thick-headed shrike, Pachycephala gutturalis.
  • noun In the mythology of some low tribes, an imaginary bird supposed to cause thunder by the flapping of its wings, or considered as personifying it.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Zoöl.) An Australian insectivorous singing bird (Pachycephala gutturalis). The male is conspicuously marked with black and yellow, and has a black crescent on the breast. Called also white-throated thickhead, orange-breasted thrust, black-crowned thrush, guttural thrush, and black-breasted flycatcher.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun mythology A mythological bird, often associated with stormy weather, especially in various indigenous North American mythologies.
  • noun An Australian insectivorous songbird (Pachycephala gutturalis), whose male is conspicuously marked with black and yellow, and has a black crescent on the breast.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun (mythology) the spirit of thunder and lightning believed by some Native Americans to take the shape of a great bird

Etymologies

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From thunder + bird.

Examples

  • Outlook replacement is Thunderbird with addons in thunderbird it can also replace the windows built in Address book

    Microsoft Substitutes

  • The "cradle board" drawing, which is connected by a line to a "thunderbird," is thought to perhaps illustrate a naming ceremony.

    Wisconsin's Cave of Wonders

  • But right now, the only way for you to test the brand-new release of Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 is to download the binary archive (see below for download link) and execute the "thunderbird" executable from the folder, after extracting it.

    Softpedia News - Global

  • If you are not in the same directory as the app thunderbird you can try the command without the initial "./", but then "thunderbird" has to be in your path (which it probably is).

    PCLinuxOS-Forums

  • "thunderbird" mascot apparently flying at the numerals.

    detnews.com - Local

  • "thunderbird" is the executable that is to be run; and "- ProfileManager" is the option that tells the executable to start the profile manager instead of thunderbird proper.

    PCLinuxOS-Forums

  • "Carry it over moors and spire of thunderbird red, across plains of aged ichor and yellowing suns."

    Blood Quantum

  • Its not really that bad if i sync with thunderbird.

    Gmail Makes Hotmail Switching Easier | Lifehacker Australia

  • Just a guess, but I think webmail takes at least 80%, with thunderbird taking almost all of the remaining 20% of users.

    Lucid Community Progress | jonobacon@home

  • It also used to be routine to send things to the wrong address or without the intended attachment, but e-mail gaffes have actually almost been eliminated since I started using thunderbird. nocturnal99

    What’s Your Worst Email Gaffe? | Lifehacker Australia

Comments

Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A unit of seismic activity, also known as a ripple, equivalent to one nanoquake. Regional variants of the ripple include the mad dog, the buckfast, the sly fox, and the wild irish rose. Among the most vocal proponents of the ripple were noted seismologists R. Foxx Sanford, and son.

    December 2, 2008

  • I completed a novel manuscript in 2006 which is due to be published next year. In it there is a thunderbird demon who is believed to cause an earthquake.

    December 2, 2008

  • Really? When's the book signing? :-D

    December 2, 2008

  • About September, I expect. My first novel manuscript, which was probably a dog, was on a computer that was stolen. All the back-up disks were lifted too; I've resigned myself to the fact that it will never be sighted again and it's possibly not a bad thing.

    I quite like this one. There's lots of me in it and a roaring plot I couldn't have invented in a fit unless the streets themself had opened wide to tell the tall tales of two millenia.

    December 2, 2008

  • Congrats in advance! It sounds like great fun.

    *is first in line outside the bookstore*

    December 2, 2008

  • *is second in line*

    December 4, 2008

  • Guess I'm taking a roadtrip in September! *third in line*

    December 4, 2008

  • *hands out coffee and tea all around*

    December 4, 2008

  • *fourth* I'll take a chai, please!

    December 4, 2008