from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A blue to blue-green mineral of aluminum and copper, mainly CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8·4H2O, prized as a gemstone in its polished blue form.
- n. A light to brilliant bluish green.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sky-blue, greenish-blue, or greenish-gray semi-precious gemstone.
- n. A pale greenish-blue colour, like that of the gemstone.
- adj. Made of turquoise (the gemstone).
- adj. Having a pale greenish-blue colour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hydrous phosphate of alumina containing a little copper; calaite. It has a blue, or bluish green, color, and usually occurs in reniform masses with a botryoidal surface.
- adj. Having a fine light blue color, like that of choice mineral turquoise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An opaque blue or greenish-blue precious stone, consisting essentially of a phosphate of aluminium containing a little copper and iron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shade of blue tinged with green
- n. a blue to grey green mineral consisting of copper aluminum phosphate
GSI pointed out that turquoise is the color of the throat, the voice, communication.
We also found a second fabulous pair — edgier in turquoise and black — that we instantly dubbed my Berlin glasses.
Since aqua/turquoise is one of my favorite color types, I think my vote would be on "before".
I bought yards of plain turquoise, a golden print, and a print with mixtures of pink, purple, red, green and black.
Resplendent in turquoise from forelock to hoof, Trigger and Buttermilk were subsequently elevated to the unlikely role of room-divider ornaments.
Shhhhhh, young men in turquoise t-shirts hiss at us.
When Ser Jaime Alonzo Pietrado ei Villareal arrived, dressed in turquoise doublet and breeches, the Ispaniola-in-Hinirang burst into a thunderous applause.
I have one pair in turquoise that matches many of my outfits but still I'll return to my Tiva walking sandals for summer, SASS closed walking shoes for cool days.
"Well, do you remember a conversation you had with Joyce about it afterward, in which you called the turquoise the 'friendship stone,' because it was true blue?
Overall, turquoise is said to open all chakras, allowing the stone’s powers of love and communication to flow through the entire being.