from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The cardinal number equal to 2 × 10.
- noun A decade or the numbers from 20 to 29.
- noun The decade from 20 to 29 in a century.
- noun A twenty-dollar bill.
from The Century Dictionary.
- One more than nineteen; twice ten: a cardinal numeral.
- Proverbially, an indefinite number: sometimes duplicated.
- noun The number which is one more than nineteen; twice ten; a score.
- noun A symbol rep resenting this number, as 20, XX, or xx.
- noun An old division of English infantry (see
thousandand hundred). The commander of a twenty was called vintiner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective One more than nineteen; twice ten.
- adjective An indefinite number more or less that twenty.
- noun The number next following nineteen; the sum of twelve and eight, or twice ten; twenty units or objects; a score.
- noun A symbol representing twenty units, as 20, or xx.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The
cardinal number 20, occurring after nineteenand before twenty-one.
- noun colloquial A
banknotewith a denomination of 20.
- noun military A set of twenty
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective denoting a quantity consisting of 20 items or units
- noun the cardinal number that is the sum of nineteen and one
- noun a United States bill worth 20 dollars
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
The calculation from the Valdez base should, however, be taken into consideration in making this barometric determination, and the mean of the two results, twenty thousand six hundred and ninety-six feet, or, roundly, _twenty thousand seven hundred feet_, is offered as the contribution of this expedition toward determining the true altitude of the mountain.
This fum divided by twenty, for the twenty years, gives twenty-* eight millions, one hundred and thirty thonfand livres per annum.
He did aid an '' bet, as the loryers call it, in thet, an 'thet proves him 'bout as mean as a white man ever gits ter be; an', 'sides thet, he did _sell_ har fur twenty dollars -- a' ooman thet even th '' judge '-- an' he _ar_ a _judge_ uv sech things -- was willin 'ter pay twenty-five hun'red fur; he _did_ sell har fur _twenty dollars_; an' thet proves him a fool!
Ruffm two hundred millions,) but there are only twenty or twenty-* foyr ..
Larry defended his title twenty consecutive times (all-in-all, fighting a total of twenty-six title bouts throughout his career) and held the record for forty-eight straight wins, next to boxing legend Rocky Marciano.
Longtime Bush family aide and campaign staffer Doug Wead coined the term twenty years ago and George W used it rather effectively in his 2000 campaign for the presidency.
Being extemely optimistic, btw, it takes on average about twenty seconds per problem to grade, call it twenty minutes per question for all of my sections .
The only way to defeat the left — and I have failed in twenty years of arguing this to persuade conservatives — is to turn the table around and attack their moral self-image.
There might be a market for these when the looting starts in twenty-twelve.
And either way, it will be a memory in twenty years.