from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Apparel worn beneath outer garments; underclothing.
- n. An outer garment, such as a dress beneath a tunic or coat, that is worn as part of a costume or suit.
- intransitive v. To dress too informally for the occasion.
- intransitive v. To dress without sufficient warmth: You're underdressing that baby for such a cold day.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To dress in insufficiently warm clothes.
- v. To dress in insufficiently formal clothes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. dress informally and casually
- v. dress without sufficient warmth
A severely plain underdress of heavy white satin formed the foundation.
I still remember how pretty and vibrant those over dresses were, with the underdress.
I'm also wondering if that was possibly done as an alternative to wearing an apron, since with the hem folded up like that any dirt would then fall on the underside of the dress or on the petticoat/underdress, and then once the chore was finished the hem could be let down again and the dirt is not visible.
Can you imagine a green this color with a pale yellow, almost a white, combined to make a dress and jacket or an over-dress and underdress .. everything around me this time of year is dressed up in God's beautiful clothing.
Its left panel frames a standing portrait of Serena, her hair arranged in a thick roll around her head, her person adorned in the high-necked voluminous tunic layered over a tighter-fitting underdress that had become the prevailing fashion for women of late antiquity.
Its getting cold, she said, taking her pinafore off so she wore only her underdress.
I was reluctant to part with my gauze underdress, but the summoner was impatient.
I curled up in a corner, in my underdress and cloak, with my saddlebag as a pillow.
I wrapped his toes in gauze torn from my underdress, and tucked one foot under my arm and held the other in my left hand, and gave him heat.
I took off my headcloth, and pulled my dress and underdress over my head and passed them to Catena with the left sleeve around the chain.