from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. On the alert; watchful. See Synonyms at aware.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Watchful, especially for danger or disorder; alert; wary
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Attentive to discover and avoid danger, or to provide for safety; wakeful; watchful; circumspect; wary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Watchful, as one who watches during the hours for sleep; ever awake and on the alert; attentive to discover and avoid danger, or to provide for safety; circumspect; cautious; wary.
- Indicating vigilance.
- Synonyms 1. Wakeful, etc. See watchful.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. carefully observant or attentive; on the lookout for possible danger
"The focus for Thursday is on the ECB meeting and whether or not Trichet uses the code word 'vigilant,'" wrote analysts at BNP Paribas SA including Ray Attrill, a senior currency strategist in New York in a note yesterday.
"The focus for Thursday is on the ECB meeting and whether or not Trichet uses the code word 'vigilant,'" analysts at BNP Paribas SA including Ray Attrill, a senior currency strategist in New York, wrote in a note yesterday.
Euro bulls had insisted in hearing the word "vigilant" from ECB Chief Trichet in order to feel reassured that the euro's ascent was deserving of its expected yield differential widening.
The president also said that the country should remain vigilant, because despite of Noordin's death the terrorist cells he created are still eluding capture [id], therefore the world needs to join hands in combating the roots of extremism and terrorism.
While we still must remain vigilant, we know these guys provide us with an extra measure of security at all times.
We must remain vigilant and prepared for REAL threats against our nation as opposed to those imagined by these two failed "leaders" of the Republic party.
Finally, the American people should remain vigilant, but also be confident.
Marquardt said the FBI agent told her they still consider this a legitimate threat and asked that she remain vigilant about her personal safety.
Jewish institutions and all visitors to communal buildings are therefore urged to remain vigilant; and to ensure that security measures are followed.
We have made some progress so far this year but we need to remain vigilant ....