from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Showing or practicing caution; careful.
- adjective Tentative or restrained; guarded.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Possessing or exhibiting caution; attentive to probable effects and consequences of actions with a view to avoid danger or misfortune; prudent; circumspect; wary; watchful: as, a cautious general; a cautious advance.
- With of before the object of caution: wary in regard to the risks of; afraid or heedful of the dangers involved in.
- Over-prudent; timorous; timid.
- Synonyms Prudent, careful, wary, vigilant, heedful, thoughtful, scrupulous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Attentive to examine probable effects and consequences of acts with a view to avoid danger or misfortune; prudent; circumspect; wary; watchful.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
careful; using or exercising caution; tentative
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective avoiding excess
- adjective showing careful forethought
- noun people who are fearful and cautious
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.