from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Capable of performing calculations.
- adjective Shrewd; crafty.
- adjective Coldly scheming or conniving.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Given to forethought and calculation; especially, given to looking ahead with thoughtful regard to self-interest; deliberate and selfish; scheming.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Of or pertaining to mathematical calculations; performing or able to perform mathematical calculations.
- adjective Given to contrivance or forethought; forecasting; scheming.
- adjective a machine for the mechanical performance of mathematical operations, for the most part invented by Charles Babbage and G. and E. Scheutz. It computes logarithmic and other mathematical tables of a high degree of intricacy, imprinting the results on a leaden plate, from which a stereotype plate is then directly made.
- noun The act or process of making mathematical computations or of estimating results.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Which has the ability to
- adjective especially of a person Which serves one's own interests in an unemotional, analytical manner.
- verb Present participle of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective used of persons
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Will Gillis on sf's changing face: Are your imaginative powers really so weak that what they call the calculating machine, or how they ...
She noted that there are "a lot of variables" in calculating the rate of the spill.
What if I were interested in calculating cheese/milk?
For example, a tiny error in calculating where the mass of air leaving one grid square goes could mean we lose a tiny bit of mass on each time step.
Richard Cook, the project manager, said that in calculating the cost and the amount of time necessary for designing the mission, "we didn't extrapolate how much more complex it was" than the Spirit and Opportunity mission.
The savings from eliminating redundancy is not being subtracted in calculating the true cost.
What is being overlooked is that for the bulk of movie goers the ticket price is only one, probably relatively minor, part of the total "cost" in calculating how to spend their resources -- including their own time.
The governor was an idiot in calculating that no one would notice that Slavery was not mentioned and that the public wouldn't notice.
It would require that pi, used in calculating the area of a circle, be a precise or a “rational” number.
And whatever the zygote's expected income, its income distribution has a huge variance, so the discount rate to be used in calculating PV needs to be substantial.