from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Very cautious; wary: was chary of the risks involved.
- adj. Not giving or expending freely; sparing: was chary of compliments.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Sad; sorrowful; grievous.
- adj. Disposed to cherish with care; careful.
- adj. Cautious; wary; shy.
- adj. Sparing; not lavish; not disposed to give freely; frugal; ungenerous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Careful; wary; cautious; not rash, or reckless.
- adj. Saving; frugal; sparing; not spendthrift; -- often used with of.
- adj. Fastidious; picky; choosy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Careful; disposed to cherish with care; cautious: often with of.
- Sparing; not lavish; not disposed to give freely; frugal: absolute or with of: as, chary of compliments; chary of favors.
- Charily; carefully.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by great caution and wariness
The Telangana JAC district convenor Dr. K.naka chary and Co,. convener, K. Rangaraju and a host of other leaders took part.
Maybe they are, in some strange way, but I'll bet Sy hersh really said, "chary", or even "wary".
This year, six students went that far until stumped by the words "chary," "nadir" and "yamen" in the next three rounds.
But yes, good of Prof. Adler, who I hope will be a little chary of Althousian pseudoreality in future.
Some of us are chary of giving every stranger in ping-shot a pretext for striking up a conversation.
Felix et errabunda XIV graphic, in-the-flesh evidence of what abuse and suffocation are doing to me the sweet, animal wisdom that allowed me to sleep for most of two days (just what I needed) all the extra sleep that makes me look ten years younger having so many friends who care wow! high praise from a once-chary mentor this, at least setting healthy limits …
As in, the gentleman is chary about voicing his concerns.
It looked like the opportunity to make some chary inquiries had presented itself.
But over time those anomalies have taken on meaning to viewers, so he's chary of jettisoning them in the name of authenticity.
Talk flows from his tongue like the freshets of the spring, but he is chary of deeds.