from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Working or spreading harmfully in a subtle or stealthy manner: insidious rumors; an insidious disease.
- adj. Intended to entrap; treacherous: insidious misinformation.
- adj. Beguiling but harmful; alluring: insidious pleasures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Producing harm in a stealthy, often gradual, manner.
- adj. Intending to entrap; alluring but harmful.
- adj. Treacherous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Lying in wait; watching an opportunity to insnare or entrap; deceitful; sly; treacherous; -- said of persons.
- adj. Intended to entrap; characterized by treachery and deceit.
- adj. Acting or proceeding unobserved or in a seemingly harmless manner, but slowly or eventually doing great damage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lying in wait; hence, deceitful; sly; treacherous.
- Designed or adapted to entrap; deceptive; insnaring: as, insidious arts.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. beguiling but harmful
- adj. intended to entrap
- adj. working or spreading in a hidden and usually injurious way
I mean, you've got Darth Sidious (as in "insidious," I assume) and then the even-more-obviously named Darths Maul and Tyrannus.
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
But I fear the most insidious is because people think that changing their lightbulbs and sorting their recyclables counts as “doing your bit”.
In my opinion, one of the more insidious is the hijacked account scam.
Far more insidious is Lieberman, with his coprophagic grin and his profession of good will.
What makes Huffington Post more insidious is the way they can buy of dissent readily by giving an organization their own blog.
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding.
The latest strategy is now seen dropping unsupported accusations across the media spectrum to the effect that the intelligence agency's assignment of Ambassador Joseph Wilson to look into the now-discredited Iraq/Niger/uranium claims were all part of a long-term insidious scheme to try and discredit the Bush Administration.
Less obvious, but more insidious, is the prejudice against skin color: dark, not light, is the dominant complexion.
"insidious movie violence" Los Angeles - One of the most violent movie stars of all time has come out against what he calls insidious movie violence.