from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Distasteful or disagreeable: an unsavory task.
- adj. Not savory: an unsavory meal.
- adj. Morally offensive: an unsavory scandal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not savory; without flavor.
- adj. Of bad taste; distasteful.
- adj. Making an activity undesirable.
- adj. Disreputable, not respectable, of questionable moral character.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not savory; tasteless; insipid.
- Disagreeable to the taste or smell. Unpleasing; offensive, intellectually or morally; disagreeable.
- Synonyms Unpalatable, ill-flavored, state.
- Disgusting, nauseous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. morally offensive
- adj. not pleasing in odor or taste
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Hard to imagine that anything this unsavory is anything but a hoax.
It makes people build more houses, which leads to urban sprawl and an automotive dominated transit infrastructure that contributes to global warming, leaves us dependent on fuel sources in unsavory parts of the globe, and wastes countless man-hours by being so damned spread out.
Why don't you look over to the business and law schools profs, they make almost twice what you make, but that doesn't mean anything unsavory is going on.
His mannerisms and tone on television suggest an abiding arrogance; he is often described as unsavory and unpleasant.
“The whole kernel has been reorganized and rewritten to help prevent software from affecting the system in unsavory ways.”
Just because you think something unsavory is necessary doesn’t mean you love it.
If you add all the milk, or too much of the milk at one time, the sauce will contain unsavory lumps of flour.)
Characterized by an unsavory combination of ignorance, callousness and raw greed, members of this party control one chamber of Congress, and a number of state legislatures and governorships around the country.
This "essentialism" is a technical word for the attributes of traditional racism: namely, that there is some essential attribute to being a particular race which causes certain often characterized as unsavory behaviors.
O'BRIEN: That word unsavory, I wonder where he got that impression.