from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Resembling or suggestive of fish, as in taste or odor.
- adj. Cold or expressionless: a fishy stare.
- adj. Informal Inspiring doubt or suspicion: Something is fishy about the accident.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Diminutive of fish
- adj. Of, from, or similar to fish.
- adj. Suspicious; inspiring doubt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of fish; fishlike; having the qualities or taste of fish; abounding in fish.
- adj. Extravagant, like some stories about catching fish; improbable; also, rank or foul.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Abounding in fish; inhabited by fish: as, the fishy flood.
- Like fish; having a fish-like quality: as, a fishy taste or smell.
- Extravagant, as a story; dubious or incredible, like many stories told about fishing and fishes. Compare fish-story.
- Dull and expressionless, like the eye of a fish.
- Equivocal, unsafe, or unsound, as a speculation or a course of conduct: as, a fishy venture.
- Plucky; brave; sturdy and enduring; thorough and faithful in duty: as, fishy to the backbone; a fishy man.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or resembling fish
- adj. not as expected
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The general odor of the man she loves, one woman states, is highly, sometimes even overwhelmingly, attractive to her; but the specific odor of the male sexual organs which she describes as fishy has no attraction.
What's fishy is Norwood originally beat Reed by 10% and now supposedly is losing by 0.8%
In regards to Gary Coleman and his death … it smelt fishy from the beginning.
While ask for a debate in NC, she turned it down and now this .. something fishy is going on.
Until I am given a reasonable explanation other than ‘lack of experience, empty suit’ I will think something fishy is going on with these polls. —
Fact 7: Other people, like chunkdz, independently think something fishy is going on.
In this volume, we accompany Snow White and her estranged sister Rose Red in a road trip to The Farm, where they discover that something very fishy is going on.
We do not allow our soldiers to enter mosques to see if something fishy is going on.
One would think that something fishy is going on, but in many cases it's just plain amateurism.
Starting to sound really fishy, is this just a ploy to keep it at the top of the press coverage?