from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A blank, expressionless face.
- noun A person, especially a performer, who has or assumes a blank expression.
- adjective Impassively matter-of-fact, as in style, behavior, or expression.
- adverb With a blank, expressionless face.
- intransitive verb To express in an impassive, matter-of-fact way.
- intransitive verb To express oneself in an impassive, matter-of-fact way.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Deliberately
impassiveor expressionless(as a faceor look).
- adjective Having such a face or look (as a
- adjective Impassive (as
- noun A style of
comedic deliveryin which something humourous is said or done while not exhibiting a change in emotion or facial expression.
- verb To
express(oneself) in an impassive or expressionless manner.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective deliberately impassive in manner
- adverb without betraying any feeling
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Otherwise, if they just do what I call a deadpan interpretation, you miss the emphasis and you miss the real importance of what your Russian counterpart is saying.
I have a really good deadpan, and while matastas has many fine skills, he will be first to tell you that reading Scandosotan deadpan is not on the list.
I ran up to find him lying there on fire while the game noted in deadpan text "Your friend is hurt".
[S] ly humor and a certain deadpan zaniness give literary conventions an ironic twist, with hilarious results.
Since deadpan is the way in 3-5 days I should have one in my grubby paws.
I wonder if being completely deadpan is a side effect of eating Monkey Chow.
He said it in a deadpan, which is pretty much how he says everything, but it might have been a helpful statement nonetheless.
I took the phone and tried to keep my expression as deadpan as he was.
Those of you too lazy to hit the last link won't understand this, but the key to a successful performance of this story is to remain deadpan.
The man was staring down at him, his expression eerily deadpan.