from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: "an ambitious, disingenuous, philistine, and hypocritical operator, who ... exemplified ... the most disagreeable traits of his time” ( David Cannadine).
- adj. Pretending to be unaware or unsophisticated; faux-naïf.
- adj. Usage Problem Unaware or uninformed; naive.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not noble; unbecoming true honor or dignity; mean; unworthy; fake or deceptive.
- adj. Not ingenuous; not frank or open; uncandid; unworthily or meanly artful.
- adj. Assuming a pose of naivete to make a point or for deception.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not noble; unbecoming true honor or dignity; mean; unworthy.
- adj. Not ingenuous; wanting in noble candor or frankness; not frank or open; uncandid; unworthily or meanly artful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not ingenuous; not open, frank, or candid; uncandid; insincere: as, a disingenuous person; a disingenuous answer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not straightforward or candid; giving a false appearance of frankness
The entire process is intellectually disingenuous from the outset.
I think, Josh, it's plain disingenuous to call COLAs "raises."
Maybe he needs to find a dictionary and look up the word disingenuous next.
That said, the word disingenuous comes to mind when Cube starts waxing poetic about the tragedy of inner-city violence.
This, I am afraid, can only be described as disingenuous and stupid.
That opponent would be characterized as the disingenuous candidate who, if elected, would continue politics-as-usual despite the words he spoke.
For her to cry about not being able to have guests is just plain disingenuous.
In each case and many more, language itself is attacked, exploited, degraded and debased by those motivated to cloak a disingenuous agenda.
In statements that I'm going to go ahead and call disingenuous, Whitman and HP Chairman Ray Lane have both pledged to continue on the path that Apotheker embarked on in August.
Tory 'it gets better' video called 'disingenuous' MP who appears in video once said homosexuality was a sin The Canadian Press Posted: Oct 28, 2011 9:29 AM ET Last Updated: Oct 28, 2011 9:33 AM ET Note:CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.