from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To move so as to produce a vibrating or buzzing sound.
- transitive v. To cause to make a vibratory sound.
- n. A sound of buzzing or vibration: the whir of turning wheels.
- n. Excited, noisy activity; bustle: the whir of busy shoppers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of whirr.
- v. Alternative spelling of whirr.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To whirl round, or revolve, with a whizzing noise; to fly or more quickly with a buzzing or whizzing sound; to whiz.
- transitive v. To hurry a long with a whizzing sound.
- n. A buzzing or whizzing sound produced by rapid or whirling motion
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To fly, dart, revolve, or otherwise move quickly with a whizzing or buzzing sound; whizz.
- To hurry away with a whizzing sound.
- n. The buzzing or whirring sound made by a quickly revolving wheel, a partridge's wings, etc.
- n. A turn; commotion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a soft swishing sound
- n. sound of something in rapid motion
With a low whistle, he brought his gun quickly down from his shoulder as a partridge, rising with a gentle whir from the red-topped orchard grass in front of him, skimmed lightly into the golden pathway the sun made through the mist.
As I smoked I heard the game begin again -- with a miss in balk this time, for the whir was a short one.
As I smoked I heard the game begin again, -- with a miss in balk this time, for the whir was a short one.
But there is an unmistakable kind of whir and hum in the air.
There came a "whir" from a fan above, and a tinkle from a small bell somewhere near at hand.
I ordered the 7200 rpm drive and I have noticed that it will continuously "whir" up and down.
Add in the nice low rumble and that unique "whir" and that is when it hits you how good it is to have purchased solid tools to assist as you strive to be like David Marks/Norm (even if you know you'll never come close).
In the distance, the drum of hooves on the Kenyan savanna faded away and the whir of insects filled the vacuum.
The Toyota Prius reduces a tank full of exhaust to the whir of a hybrid electric/ gas engine.
She felt the whir of the rigid cards in her hands as she whispered to them: “What else do I need to know?”