from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Frenchman who has departed their native land, especially a royalist who left during the French Revolution.
- n. An emigrant, one who departs their native land to become an immigrant in another, especially a political exile.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the natives of France who were opposed to the first Revolution, and who left their country in consequence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An emigrant: applied specifically to those persons, chiefly royalists, who became refugees from France during the revolution which began in 1789.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who leaves one country to settle in another
From French émigré. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.