Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A study; a lesson; especially, in music, a composition having more or less artistic value, but intended mainly to exercise the pupil in overcoming some particular technical difficulty, or two or more related difficulties.
- n. alternative spelling of etude.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A composition in the fine arts which is intended, or may serve, for a study.
- n. (Mus.) A study; an exercise; a piece for practice of some special point of technical execution.
- n. a short composition for a solo instrument; intended as an exercise or to demonstrate technical virtuosity
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘étude’.
Started off as names of musical pieces and miscellaneous music terms, now broadened to dance and theatre. (May recategorize this to finer details.)
Looking for tweets for étude.