American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. God, especially in Islam.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Arabic name of the Supreme Being, which, through the Koran, has found its way into the languages of all nations who have embraced the Mohammedan faith.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The name of the Supreme Being, in use among the Arabs and the Mohammedans generally.
- n. Muslim name for the one and only God
- Arabic الله (allāh), contraction of اَل (al) + إِلَه ("ilāh"); cognate with the Hebrew אֵל (él), אֱלוֹהַּ \ אֱלֹהַּ (elóah), and אֱלוֹהִים \ אֱלֹהִים (elohím), ultimately from Proto-Semitic *ʾil-. (Wiktionary)
- Arabic Allāh : al-, the + 'ilāh, god; see אl in Semitic roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Then they started on another word with endless iteration, and then they repeated _Allah, Allah, Allah_, swaying and swaying till the universe began to reel.”
“Allah wo uckbaar, _Allah u akbar_, 'God is most great”
“There is much that we can learn from the recent attacks on several churches in Malaysia spurred by the use of the word Allah - the Arabic word for God - by Malaysian Christians, dividing an otherwise diverse society.”
“Several Muslim groups have announced a street protest Friday to oppose a High Court ruling last week that allowed the Herald, Malaysia's main Roman Catholic newsletter, to use the word Allah, which is the Arabic word for God.”
“The usage of the term Allah by English speaking non-Muslims in reference to the God in Islam, Marshall G. S. Hodgson says, can imply that Muslims are worshiping a mythical god named 'Allah' rather than God, the creator.”
“Dec. 31, 2009: The High Court rules that Christians can use the word Allah in their literature, prompting Muslim protests.”
“In Malaysia, a court decision last year allowing a Catholic newspaper to refer to God as Allah, the Arabic word for God, sparked a spate of arson and vandalism against Christian churches.”
“The bishop, who had worked in Indonesia, noted that even Christians use the term Allah for God there.”
“For, like all Mohammedans, their belief in Allah is deep-seated.”
“In addition to the firebombing of churches, Malay-language Bibles have been seized by the authorities in a dispute over whether Christians should be allowed to use the word Allah for God.”
‘Allah’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Allah.