from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Ladder; sequence.
- n. Ladder-like structure in the cochlea of a mammal's ear.
- n. A machine formerly used for reducing dislocations of the humerus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A machine formerly employed for reducing dislocations of the humerus.
- n. A term applied to any one of the three canals of the cochlea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery, an instrument for reducing dislocations.
- n. Pl. scalæ (-lē). In zoology and anatomy, one of three cavities of the cochlea, in man and other mammals winding spirally around the modiolus or columella of the ear, as a spiral staircase winds around the newel: in lower vertebrates much simplified.
- n. [capitalized] In conchology, an old generic name of wentletraps: same as Scalaria.
It reaches about half-way toward the outer wall of the tube, and partially divides its cavity into two passages or scalæ, of which the upper is named the scala vestibuli, while the lower is termed the scala tympani.
The scala vestibuli reaches to the tip of the cochlea where it connects to another tube called the scala tympani, which also contains perilymph, via a junction celled helicotrema.
Cardo Systems has unveiled a new Bluetooth intercom system for motorcycle riders called the scala rider G4.
Once you start futon after registering scala as the language, you should be able to see "scala" registered as a view query language for writing map functions.
'scala' and get a console that you can type Scala code into and see it evaluated immediately.
This was expressed most concretely in the concept of the scala naturae, the scale of perfection (Lovejoy 1936).
The esoteric sides of all the major religions recognize that the individual consciousness is subsumed and nourished by an infinite, absolute, divine, or cosmic source, and is ultimately one with it -- the scala naturae or the Great Chain of Being.
Sono daccordo con alcuni richiami su Villa La Roche internamente (sulla seconda immagine), anche se in quel caso Le Corbusier utilizza una rampa e qui vi è una scala; ciò significa che lo sguardo si interrompe.
Just like t-max vs tri-x vs delta vs scala, all react differently.
For Aristotle and his later Thomistic followers in medieval Christendom all things exist in a hierarchical scala naturae, or “ladder of nature,” beginning with inanimate matter and proceeding through plants, animals, humans, and ultimately the “unmoved mover” that gives all objects their purpose.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.