from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Anthony, Saint A.D. 250?-350? Egyptian ascetic monk considered to be the founder of Christian monasticism.
- Anthony, Susan Brownell 1820-1906. American feminist leader and suffragist who was instrumental in the passage of legislation that gave married women legal rights over their children, property, and wages. In 1869 she cofounded the National Woman Suffrage Association.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A male given name, in regular use since the Middle Ages.
- proper n. A patronymic surname.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The smallest pig of a litter: from the fact that one of a litter was vowed to St. Anthony, patron saint of swineherds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States suffragist (1820-1906)
- n. Roman general under Julius Caesar in the Gallic wars; repudiated his wife for the Egyptian queen Cleopatra; they were defeated by Octavian at Actium (83-30 BC)
ANTHONY: No. GRACE: Getting nowhere fast police drop Anthony back at her parent ` s home.
THOMAS DELUCA, LEE ANTHONY ` S LAWYER: Well, first of all, I ` d like to thank you for your sympathy, as does the Anthony family.
ANTHONY SCHOBER: I met Anthony for the first time when he was two years old, when I was dating his mom.
ANTHONY SMITH, FATHER: I'm Anthony, Lesley's father.
Does the name Anthony Schaeffer mean anything to you?
Next, he drew a line under the name Anthony Collingwood.
There was a murmur of disappointment when she said that, after an extensive search, they had found no evidence that proved Alexander Fitzpatrick was ever therebut she was certain that, using the name Anthony Collingwood, Fitzpatrick had been a very big feature in Julia Brandons life.
A young and impressionable Julia Kendal, living in Oxford, meets up with the charismatic Alexander Fitzpatrick, using the alias Anthony Collingwood.
Phil was sitting, thumbing through his notebook, and DC Pamela Meadows was writing up on the board the name Anthony Collingwood: no known address, not on any voting register, but a passport had been issued to someone of that name in 1985.
You have given us the name Anthony Collingwood as Mrs Brandons previous partner, and told us that he had engineered her financesis that still correct?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.