from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several plants of the genera Lychnis and Silene native chiefly to the Northern Hemisphere and having variously colored flowers with notched or fringed petals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any flowering plant of the genus Lychnis.
- n. Any flowering plant of the genus Silene.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plant of the Pink family (Cucubalus bacciferus), bearing berries regarded as poisonous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of certain plants belonging to the genera Lychnis and Silene (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any plant of the genus Silene
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)