from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous herbs of the genus Saxifraga, having small, variously colored flowers and leaves that often form a basal rosette.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant in the genus Saxifraga.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any plant of the genus Saxifraga, mostly perennial herbs growing in crevices of rocks in mountainous regions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the genus Saxifraga.
- n. See meadow-saxifrage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various plants of the genus Saxifraga
Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin (herba) saxifraga, maidenhair fern, feminine of Latin saxifragus, rock-breaking (from its being found growing in rock crevices) : saxum, rock; see sek- in Indo-European roots + frangere, frag-, to break; see bhreg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)