from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the west.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or relating to the land where the sun sets; western
- adj. of or relating to the Hesperides nymphs
- adj. of or relating to the Hesperidae family of butterflies
- adj. of or relating to the Martian geological period between Noachian and Amazonian
- n. an inhabitant of the western lands
- n. a butterfly of the family Hesperidae; a Skipper
- n. the Hesperian geological time period of Mars
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Western; being in the west; occidental.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of a western country.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a family of butterflies called Hesperidæ, or skippers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Western; situated at the west.
- Of or pertaining to the Hesperides.
- [lowercase] Of or pertaining to the hesperians; having the characters of the family Hesperiidæ.
- n. An inhabitant of a western country.
- n. [I. c.] A lepidopterous insect of the family Hesperiidæ; a skipper. See Castnioides. Also hesperid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. denoting or characteristic of countries of Europe and the western hemisphere
From Latin Hesperius, from Greek hesperios, of the evening, western, from hesperos, evening; see wes-pero- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)