from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the west.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or relating to the land where the sun sets; western
- adj. of or relating to the Hesperides nymphs
- adj. of or relating to the Hesperidae family of butterflies
- adj. of or relating to the Martian geological period between Noachian and Amazonian
- n. an inhabitant of the western lands
- n. a butterfly of the family Hesperidae; a Skipper
- n. the Hesperian geological time period of Mars
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Western; being in the west; occidental.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a family of butterflies called Hesperidæ, or skippers.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of a western country.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Western; situated at the west.
- Of or pertaining to the Hesperides.
- [lowercase] Of or pertaining to the hesperians; having the characters of the family Hesperiidæ.
- n. An inhabitant of a western country.
- n. [I. c.] A lepidopterous insect of the family Hesperiidæ; a skipper. See Castnioides. Also hesperid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. denoting or characteristic of countries of Europe and the western hemisphere
[Footnote 20: W.D. Gallagher, "Hesperian," Vol. II., p 89.]
I repeated for the fifth time the Lord's Prayer -- perhaps some of you old fellows don't repeat it enough in your homes now, but you get out on the "Hesperian" when she is sinking and you will say it over more than once.
I could tell you another little story of something that happened on the "Hesperian" on the way back to Canada, when after being torpedoed in the night time, and her nose opening towards the bottom of the Atlantic, we were all in turmoil and trouble; I with my crutches, weak, four days out of the hospital bed, down in my bunk.
Sept. 4 -- Allan liner "Hesperian" sunk by German submarine; 26 lives lost, 1 American.
( "Hesperian"), the manager of a strategically focused group of public mutual funds and limited partnerships (the Norrep Group of Funds), announced that Norrep Performance 2006 Flow-Through Limited Partnership has chosen to participate in the one for one conversion of warrants to Class A shares of Nexstar Energy Ltd. ( "the Company").
( "Hesperian"), the Manager of a strategically focused group of public mutual funds and limited partnerships (the "Norrep Group of Funds"), announced today that it has declared a dividend of
Police arrived at the scene at 15555 Hesperian Boulevard at around 1:50 a.m. and found a man had been shot, and his family members had detained a suspect, who police identified Friday afternoon as Tony Phillips of Oakland.
In that scenario the clay-to-sulfate formation transition is captured along the Noachian-Hesperian boundary, as measured by cratering rates in and around Gale crater.
I assume the Hesperian epoch would remain, as it is "marked by the formation of extensive lava plains" and the Noachian is defined ? by "many large impact craters" Wikipedia.
Scientists had largely overlooked the Hesperian Epoch as it was thought that Mars was then a frozen wasteland.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.