from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of southeast Texas northwest of Galveston. Founded in 1836 and named for Sam Houston, it is a major industrial, commercial, and financial hub, the center of the U.S. aerospace industry, and a deep-water port connected with Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico by the Houston Ship Channel. Houston is also the largest city in Texas. Population: 2,140,000.
- Houston, Samuel 1793-1863. American general and politician who fought in the Texan struggle for independence from Mexico and became president of the Republic of Texas (1836-1838 and 1841-1844). When Texas was admitted to the Union, he served as U.S. senator (1845-1859) and governor (1859-1861).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A habitational surname.
- proper n. A city in Texas, USA, named after Sam Houston.
- proper n. Any of a number of other places in the English-speaking world.
- proper n. A male given name of mainly American usage, transferred from the surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the largest city in Texas; located in southeastern Texas near the Gulf of Mexico; site of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- n. United States politician and military leader who fought to gain independence for Texas from Mexico and to make it a part of the United States (1793-1863)
ANNISE PARKER (D), HOUSTON MAYORAL CANDIDATE: Houston is a multiracial, multicultural, international city.
ANNISE PARKER, HOUSTON MAYOR-ELECT: There is a certain segment of Houston, there is a certain segment of society that has problems with the issues around sexual orientation.
The various buzzes, and the team names they suggest: THE HOUSTON BOOSTERS: Houston will win because local officials backed the bid of billionaire Bob McNair with $195 million in tax subsidies.
September 13th, 2008 3:14 am ET do not forget the homeless people in houston that I saw here in Atlanta some cable is carrying a local Houston channel and we just saw people lying around a building.
CHIEF HAROLD HURTT, HOUSTON POLICE: Well, right now, we are moving 500,000 people out of the Galveston and Houston area where we think that the eye of the storm is going to come on land.
MAYOR BILL WHITE, HOUSTON, TEXAS: Houston is getting full.
HOUSTON OPEN Kim, Molder lead after 3 rounds in Houston
HOUSTON - Doctors have cleared Houston women's basketball coach Joe Curl to return to the bench after he missed five games for heart-related issues.
HOUSTON - A two-year-old Toronto-area boy died Thursday afternoon after being left in a blistering hot car for about two hours in a suburb of Houston, Texas, according to U.S. media reports.
HOUSTON - Ryan Howard, Shane Victorino and Jayson Werth drove in three runs apiece, and the Philadelphia Phillies 'offense rolled again Saturday night in a 9-6 win over Houston that sent the Astros to their worst start in 27 years.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.